Saturday, December 18, 2021

Let the Lockdowns Continue Ad Infinitum

So, though it has caused literally few deaths (one I understand in England a few days ago; as of December 4 WHO had reported none), the Omicron variant has now become the excuse for the latest in shutting down and locking down. I imagine that between December 4 and today, lots of people have died from a variety of causes. Chicago over the weekends. Car accidents. The Flu.  Let's just face it. We need to stop going out at all. Safety is all. Death must be avoided at all costs. Except this is becoming a living death, at least to my mind, my opinion being nothing, I realize.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/14/omicron-us-spread/

I had lifted my personal embargo on social activities requiring me to wear masks or show my vax card to do something this very night, to see an interactive version of the play "A Christmas Carol" at the Ahmanson tonight. I lifted it once before, so far. And I still feel guilty. 

I had noted that as of yesterday, I was hearing all sorts of plays and entertainment facilities cancelling because of the SPREAD of the variant, that which has the symptoms of the common cold thus far. My friend who arranged our evening out, with another couple of friends, wondered whether our event would also be cancelled. And so it has been. I am still keeping my embargo lifted for the evening, as my friends all want to try to do something anyway, it being the Christmas season and all that and wanting to get together, something we have rarely been doing this last nearly two years. I feel Grinchy to be sure, but I don't think it right to act on it tonight. On the other hand, maybe if we all stopped going out and patronizing the businesses, the chain could be interrupted. Who knows anymore?

If there is reason to do this with the Omicron variant, there is now reason to keep us all locked down till the end of time. The common cold itself would be reason. 

I am convinced that we are a living (unto death) experiment by people known and unknown to us. We are being tortured. And the worst is yet to come if we don't finally say "Stop!" 

My way has been to lament on this blog which hardly anyone reads, and frankly I don't much promote. And rather counterproductively as it costs me my freedom of movement, I try not to go where I have to show a card or wear a mask. I simply stay home most of the time. Or I go places, like helping out a charity, when no one else is in the room and I don't need to wear a mask. This, of course, is rare.  In this way, I am not accused of being "unmutual" and failing to abide by the Procrustean bed imposed by my sick society, but "they" still get their way. I am effectively locked down. It may be a pyrrhic victory that I stay home and relatively rarely do anything requiring me to show papers or wear a mask, but at least I am not putting myself in a position to have mask or papers demanded of me. Today I did not have to show my papers or wear the mask. Good. And it sort of quells my emotional foment at the irony and the illogic of making me and my fellow citizens show papers and wear masks while people pour across our borders without any such requirement not only with the potentiality of Covid, but of TB, and Measles and who knows what.  Or my being told that while this is absolute necessity to show who I am and what I am doing in this instance, it is not for the privilege to vote. 

I am a bit ashamed that I am still going out tonight and will concede to the insanity this time. How do I escape the science fiction dystopia that is literally killing all of us? I feel trapped. 

I am no longer on Facebook so I don't know if people are finally waking up or not. I doubt that they are. We are about to become true prisoners, if we have not already. 

I am finding it hard to see the point in anything. I cannot listen to the voices of our leaders without seeing a repetition of some of the worst criminal outrages of the centuries about to repeat themselves. I am still on Instagram, and I do almost no commenting "politically" there. But I did see a meme from someone who sees what not enough of us are seeing, that if you wonder why things like the holocaust were "allowed" to happen by good people, you no longer need to do so. 

We are doing it again. The thing is good people are afraid because to challenge is to risk. And while I think of myself as good, I am also one of the afraid. Fear itself is death, alas. Death is all around us as we are told that we are safe if we just lockdown one more time.

It has been suggested to me that I should not let all this stuff get to me. Is there a time when it should? 

My God, My God, why have we forsaken thee?




No comments:

Post a Comment