Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Moment in Another's Cocoon



As I watched the reportage of the attempted coup in Turkey just now, the day after the murder of 84 people in Nice by a Tunisian born individual whose motives are being debated by the pundits, I found myself thinking about my afternoon visiting my elderly friend at her nursing home. Her condition is such that she no longer reads or seems to have any interest in the news. As she sat in her blue wing back chair striving to find words for memories that are faded or fading, about her mother, about the cemetery in Pennsylvania to which she long ago arranged to commit her mortal remains, about the health of her former pastor, I found myself looking around her room, its walls covered with religious icons and paintings and then through the sliding glass doors leading to a patio surrounded by green grass and old trees, a lovely quiet, safe, even meditative environment unlike most skilled senior residences, I closed my eyes. This home is in the city, but way up a hill overlooking it, with a panoramic 360 degree view that encompasses even the ocean. When I drive a mere two or three minutes down the hill I am back at the entry to the larger and well trafficked world, where things like Orlando, or Nice, or San Bernardino have happened and where, alas, much worse will happen, since the heart of man, despite the gift of salvation, remains dark and has embraced pursuits unconstrained by any moral prohibitions.  I had the most ephemeral of thoughts: if only I could stay here.

In a sense you are powerless in a nursing home, on the outer edge of existence itself. So, that wouldn't be the place for me, not now, at least. Right? But in so many ways, I, we, are powerless in the broader world and taxed endlessly by it. At least, in the home I would not be taxed by the madness that swats other human lives, children among them, with the bumper of a truck.

It would have nothing to do with me, living on the side of a hill in a little room like this, with all my needs tended. How odd a thing! It would be, as it is for my friend, as if none of it were happening.

I would not exist for the world and the world, except this minuscule patch, would not exist for me.

Bliss. And then Veronica repeats an earlier question I have already answered. I open my eyes.

No. I don't belong here. Not yet. "Thank God", it occurs to me. My friend's role is to be where she is, free of the concerns of a violent world. She had other roles in the versions of the mess human kind makes that occurred in years gone by. Now her role is to be tended to, having been a good and faithful servant--even being arrested for praying at abortion clinics, three times, one of the memories that she still can retrieve from time to time.

This cocoon is not mine to share. In time, if God Wills that I have a long life, I will find myself in one, but not until I complete whatever He has in mind for now.






No comments:

Post a Comment