Monday, February 21, 2022

Rising "Above" My Principles

 I haven't been making entries onto this site since late December 2021. I guess I just kept hoping that the inconsistent insanities of Covid "policies" would end soon, even though I knew intellectually that such a lovely opportunity for societal deconstruction is not easily relingquished by those who are doing the deconstruction. 

As before, in some states the national milieu went back to normal. But here in California it took until about last week to lift some of the mandates. Of course, in the County of Los Angeles, a large area in which I happen to live, the emergency remains red hot. No way that a virus can cross county boundaries, correct?

I have, as I have endlessly said, tried to avoid entertainment venues in which I would have to wear a mask or show a vaccination card, though as I must always disclaim so that I am not disregarded even more readily than I will be anyway, I was thrice blessed with the anti-virus potion that well, doesn't has it happens protect as was advertised. I have conceded in obligatory environs, like my Church, but for the most part I was not participating in what to me had become an arbitrary and capricious soft totalitarian warm up to hard totalitarianism.

But I am a small creature, alas, and as the New Year arrived and friends wanted to get together for ordinary human celebrations like birthdays and the odd entertainment movie event, I found my resolve crumbling and making exceptions, willing to go and to wear a mask, and worse, willing to show my vax card and ID to demonstrate that I am clean enough, virally speaking, to be allowed inside a restaurant, while other humans relegated to the status of  lepers, were excluded. Worse, I enjoyed myself.

You might say, what does it matter? What's the big deal? The big deal is that the slippery slope is real. Take a look at Canada. 

Human beings incline toward all sorts of evil, but one version is that they like to exert power over one another. And if one does not take the threat of these prefatory efforts at control--disguised as a matter of good and protection--seriously and takes the position what does it matter to me, history shows that how much it matters becomes very apparent, in short order, and when it is too late. 

I keep hoping that this Covid incarceration will end and I won't feel compelled to write about it any longer. On the other hand, today it is Covid, tomorrow there will be another crisis that aspiring dictators will find useful for their consolidations of power, and you and 
I will be footnotes in history. And we will bear responsibility for sheepish failures which led to our very demise. 




No comments:

Post a Comment