Thursday, November 2, 2023

New York, to Massachusetts in 2005 and oh, Throw in San Francisco

As I have no doubt said in past entries, I am amazed, given how much I do not like flying, that I have managed to do as many trips as I have. It's a testament I guess to people I have been lucky to know and the emotional and intellectual drive to see places I have read about! In 2005, Len Speaks (if I am correct) spearheaded a WFUV reunion in New York, specifically Westchester. Now, let me offer a recapitulation about WFUV when I was a student at Fordham at Rose Hill in the Bronx in the antediluvian days of the 1970s. It was a hallway between two doors on the upper level of Keating Hall. It was a 50,000 watt student station, that covered (still does) New York, Connecticut and Jersey I seem to recall. At the time I started there doing the station break (This is WFUV, the Radio Voice of Fordham University), as a sophomore, having been a wing person to my friend Ginny (does she remember I wonder?) in pursuit of one of the young gentlemen staffers at FUV, it was only on the air for about (all you FUVers can correct me) six hours a day. She flirted. I auditioned for the Evening Concert by correctly saying the Classical composers names. I was Rhoda to her Mary Tyler Moore. Just kidding. In my time air time was increased to about 18 hours (Again this is if memory serves, as I did come in at 6 a.m. to turn on the transmitter from time to time. Yes, I did once manage to get up before 10 a.m.!) Since my days there, Fordham discovered the monetary value of the student run station which had eluded it before, and essentially took it over and while everyone is told how much the students are involved, it is not student run (yes, in my opinion). And what are described as the halcyon days omits ever so much about many of those who spent their undergraduate years there making it finally attractive to the powers that be. As for me, I didn't ultimately go into the "entertainment" field. But that time in my life was key to what success I had in my working and social life. I made friends there I still have. And it took me from painfully shy and quiet to well, an extroverted introversion if that makes any sense. I tend still to prefer to be alone and quiet, but I am well able to transact my day among others and seem very comfortable. Sometimes I actually am. So, below some shots of that trip.

I stayed in Chappaqua--humble geographic and well secured home of the Clintons, but also of a wonderful boutique hotel called Kittle House, which is formed from an 18th century home, if memory serves. My room was in the attic and I felt ever so safe, and happy and well tended. And as you can see just below, it had residents I always like: Cats. Mama is the one with the black spot on her nose. The other is her daughter. They spent much time in my room, and on my bed. 


                                       Just below, our room at the facility where the festivities were held. I rented a car (and there was lots of rain that trip; the Saw Mill parkway is quite a treacherous drive in the rain!) and drove where I needed to be. 


Below, some of the attendees, including but not limited to Bill Pomerleau, the late Rich Adcock, Mike Fornatale, Ralph Carmosino, Mary Carmosino, Len Klatt, Steve Petrone, Ginny Rohan, Ron Rollo, Steve Dunlop, Gary Stanley, Bob Brienza, Lorraine Raguseo, Mary Maguire. . . .feel free to add names of those I missed.  And, a special shout out to the late Mrs. Vallach, who arranged for the restaurant facility. Like my father, she had an affection for the kids from Fordham. Good days. 




And, I managed to see two others in New York. My now late Aunt Georgia who by this time was in a memory care location, again, if ye old memory serves, and my then California friend, Fr. Paul Wolkovits who was in New York. We met at the Yale Club in Manhattan and had one of the deepest talks of our friendship. 

 
From there I drove to Massachusetts and the South Bay to the town of Scituate (I just read that Mark Goddard from Lost in Space grew up there), to spend time with Janey and the kids (well then they were kids). One day I'll tell the story about how they came into my life--and have stayed in it. Some pics are from my stay; others are those sent to me in and around 2005.





Today Cait is a psychologist like her late father and Charlie is into finance, is married and just had his first child, a boy. When our parents told us that time passes quickly, they were understating it. To me it is just yesterday. In time, it is all history. 




This wasn't part of my trip, but Janey got to be the Rose of Scituate. 



As I wended my way back to Logan Airport and I had a lot of time, I decided to visit the Kennedy Library. That had been on my bucket list. Bottom two shots. The upper shots (of the ones below) are of the former home of my friends in Scituate. It was rural-ish with lovely woods around.  Now the whole area is a subdivision of manicured homes. 



Later on, that same year, I was invited to the installation of Bishop George Niederauer as Archbishop of San Francisco. I had, and my father had, gotten to know the Archbishop when he was one of two Monsignors (he was in residence; the other was pastor) at my parish of St. Victor. I had the good fortune to visit Utah when he became a Bishop there, and now I got to do the San Francisco version. I stayed in a little local B and B. And my friend Denise and I had a day to putter around which we did by a boat ride to Sausalito, eating, shopping and walking. Neither of us had any agenda that day and so whatever we fell into, we enjoyed. I bought a reversible raincoat on sale for 40 bucks which I have worn during our mild winters for the last going on 19 years. I still can't get over the bargain! San Francisco wasn't new to me, because as an ethics prosecutor I used to teach a class from time to time in the City at our offices there. (Hour flights were slightly less traumatic for me!)




Don't ask me how my late Tuxedo and Tipper cats got in here, with Denise, but below, with Denise, they are when they were both quite young. 






No comments:

Post a Comment