Wednesday, November 8, 2023

State Bar Employees and Friends Say Fare Thee Well (to me) in 2011

No doubt I have somewhere noted in these blog pages that after getting my Law licenses in New York and California, and working in various part of the profession, in the 1980s I seriously considered giving it all up. I might have been relatively intelligent and certainly verbal, but the confrontation and games playing, never did suit me. I was and remain a bit literal about the truth in an arena where truth, despite claims otherwise especially by the profession itself, tends to be flexible. I was a psychological introvert in a extrovert's field. And the last person who seemed to have any real relevance in private practices I observed was the client.  And even back then, the amount of paper and bureaucracy was enormous. I was about to quit (to my Depression era father's horror) when through a series of perhaps Divine interventions and/or synchronicity (I am religious so I tend to go with the former explanation though I expect that Divine intervention can be synchronous) I ended up as a prosecutor for the State Bar of California. My job was to attempt to uphold the ideals which were the raison d'etre for the Rules of Professional Conduct. I did my best. We did our best in a constantly politically charged atmosphere (Is there any other kind?) This more suited my nature and allowed me to stay in the career I had chosen--albeit for reasons that are really still a mystery to me. That's not to say it was easy. Where there are human beings, there is imperfection. But what I found was that not only was I a decent trial lawyer, but that this work turned out to be a vocation in that field I had oddly chosen.  And in that milieu I met wonderful dedicated people, some of whom remain friends today. Like Claudius in ancient Roman Times, I survived lots of changes in leadership, until a quarter of a century into my career, having reached the heights of middle management, I, along with several others, was promoted into retirement one day, very quickly, in the summer of 2011. This vocation was at an end. There have been, and will be, others.  

There was no formal farewell at the Bar per se, and I was not able to celebrate my 25th year at the annual service awards as they occurred after my separation, but there were gatherings at local restaurants, and somewhere along the way I was given a lovely album by which to remember my colleagues and friends. 

I offer a few of these in today's blog entry, with occasional commentary.




The above pic of me was at one of our birthday celebrations, this one, clearly, mine. 



I have so much affection for those I worked with---to this day. 




Above upper right. Me and my long time secretary Paula. Just below, me and my later secretary Jessica. Lower left, me and Rick, I think it was an NOBC in Philadelphia. Right, me and Janet. 



I know I will miss some names, but even if I do, I'm glad I rubbed shoulders with you. Let's see, some pictured and not in any order, Paul, Ysabel, Robin, Paula, Lisa, Geri, Sarah, Maridee, Teresa, Alan, oh dear, my memory for names has never been good! One sad note in this pic, that Alice is no longer with us. 



My favorite in this set is the funny picture of Dane. Dane was my right hand at the end of my time at the Bar, in the Intake Unit. He settled me when things got too crazy. I think I settled him when things got too crazy for him. I haven't seen him in years,  so I can't say for sure.  





The Office of the Chief Counsel management team when Mike Nisperos was the CTC. Hmmm, This was circa 2001 to 2004? I'm going to miss a name or two. Me, Elena, Jessica, Jeff, Rick, Victoria, Russell, Cathy, Seana, Mike, Bill. 




I am going to miss some names again, but a few, Tom, Larry, Kristin, Luis, Paul O., Kim, Sheryl, Tom...








More faces I see, Mehdi, Jean, Ed, Mike, Charles, Tim, Kim, add yourself in the comments!



Above is a kind of sad one, in that Scott and Judge Talcott are both gone.



I feel so guilty, people I know I know, and I can't remember names, those I can, Murray, Joe, Sue, Eric, Anthony, Yolanda, Brooke. . . . 


Oh, dear Sarah, middle right, no longer with us. More names that come to me, Keith, Alan, and below Teri, Shari, Susan A., Barbara, John who got out of law and went into commercials on TV, and comedy music.




I'm exhausted trying to remember all names. . . .Craig with mom Geri, me and Max, Cecilia, Sheila, Lisa . . . .



Our Christmas (Festivus was what we called them courtesy of was it Seinfeld?) gatherings were always one of my favorites as plainly you can see. I'm the one with the Santa hat. We used to do White Elephant gifting. Russell who was my boss is next to me above. 



Yes, there were a lot of social gatherings, but there was also a lot of hard work and the stress of changing agendas and stakeholders. And I was lucky to be among you all. It has been fun to think about it for this edition of the blog. And I have fared well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment