Friday, March 24, 2017

Paul Bynum: Still Thinking of Him Thirty Years Later

I had been at the State Bar of California as an attorney for just under two years when one morning, I heard that an investigator, whom I didn't know very well, but liked very much, had committed suicide, leaving behind a wife and a young child. It's only in recent years that you can look up his name and find some information on him, and what happened to him. Before he was an investigator at the State Bar, he had been a Detective at the Hermosa Beach Police Department. He had worked on high profile cases, and, as I understand it, after he was separated from the Department, he worked with a lawyer on the infamous McMartin cases. He was scheduled to testify before the jury in the case at the time he allegedly committed suicide. There were people who believed it wasn't suicide but murder, related to the high profile case. I have been paring down, slowly but surely of late, and I ran across this journal entry I wrote at the time of his death.



December 10, 1987

If I had known Paul Bynum better, other than as a friendly face whom I passed in the hall or rode up in the elevator with in the mornings or afternoon, I think I would have been emotionally incapacitated when I learned last night he killed himself.

He sort of stood out, because he looked so natural in his usually white shirt, rolled up sleeves and no matter what time of the day it was, early morning or late afternoon, his tie would usually be a little loosened.

He looked like a man hard at work, in the middle of some investigatory revelation. He was a former cop, like half of the investigators in our office.

Something was so horrible in his life, something which none of us yet knew, that he felt he had to shoot himself, leaving behind a wife and an 18 month old child.

I wanted to know if he left a note, something, some indication of what it was so compelling him to his death, or impelling him.

It won't be any less of a waste if I know, but at least maybe knowing why makes it all seem a little less random.

People die all the time, and there was something odd about the sense tonight, as I was driving home, that he had been here yesterday, all day.  Then today it was as as if he never existed.

Fear, sympathy, confusion, questioning, anger, sadness.  You feel all of these.

God, he felt so forsaken and he couldn't hang on. I'm tempted to ask where You were.  You might say to me, "It was his choice. Paul had the choice to keep the gift or throw it away." But, Lord, what if his mind was clouded? I have known a clouded mind. One of the inexplicable things.  We ask "why?". We cannot accept it  And we try to wait patiently for explanation and rescue.

Paul is no different from the rest of us, and that is what is alarming. For now, we are left with, "Why did that man kill himself?" and pray that God will take care of him, that he was not forsaken, whatever the appearance.

He is not here anymore.  All the cases that he handled, all the obsessing that he did over those things, for naught.

"What is truly important," said the Little Prince, "is invisible to the eye."  I hope that Paul had a glimpse of the truly important. I hope that I avoid in my life the drastic choice that Paul made.

Lord, I suspect that Paul went through a great deal of agony.  Look upon that agony as something which rendered him  unable to think clearly. He fell.  The Cross he bore was too heavy. Your Son died for him, for Paul who could not find you in his moment of despair. Protect him now, all things are possible with You.

I pray I do not forget Paul Bynum.




14 comments:

  1. this was a murder one of 3 connect to mcmartin possible 4 the truth will come out they can't kill everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will note that I said "allegedly" committed suicide. Obviously, I have no insight into the details; I am relating what I felt at the time, which was before any inkling, for me, or perhaps for most people, of the shadow of conspiracies.
    Back then, no internet, and for many years afterward, I'd look to find his name (because I hate that anyone is completely forgotten by the world at large) and did not; until recently. I guess my point, no matter how he came to his end is that he was important, and that we cannot know what is happening behind the facade we all present to the world. I had no idea of his history, not any, until he was gone. That made me sad then, and a little now, on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mrs/Ms Gochis
    I have created Mr Bynums Memorial where you took his picture from. I'am very happy that i have stumbled upon your written memento on Mr Bynum, it was indeed beautifully written! Thank you!
    Best Wishes
    Attila Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came here from Wikipedia article on Roy Norris and Larry Bitter. Says the crimes were still haunting Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. It was my understanding that Detective Bynum was traumatized by the Bittaker/Norris murders, on which he'd worked earlier in the decade. In the book "Alone With the Devil" by Ronald Markman M.D. and Dominick Bosco, it's stated that he left a suicide note, which was 10 pages long; in it he expressed fear that the pair would be released from prison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul was my brother. I and Nat Helms. I live in Missouri. We are biological brothers so don't let the names fool you. I know him better than all of you combined. We of course grew uo together, were in the Army at the same time... I was in Nam and him is Germany. I was with him when he was chosen to be a cop in Hermosa... I was a cop in TX when he was a cop in CA. We rode together in both jurisdictions, talked almost every night, and visited as often as possible. I have his suicide note. It is a rambling, scarcely coherent manifesto about life, cops, getting fired off Hermosa Beach, a Chief he thought was a drunk, etc. He killed himself for a variety of reasons including being diagnosed as bi-polar by the Hermosa Beach PD shrink so he could not be a cop somewhere else. The biggest reason was he was going to have to testify against some cops in the McMartin Preschool case, which he found abhorrent. I believe they were LASO or LAPD, but it didn't matter. They jumped on a BS bandwagon chasing none existent child molesters and wanted it so bad they manufactured evidence, used poor witnesses, and accepted as evidence pure crappola that flew in face of exculpatory evidence. Ran across this looking for something else about Paul. Oh, his ashed weren't scattered they were lost after he was cremated and little box buried in church yard by a rose bush.

      Delete
    2. Forgot something. I talked to Paul moments before he shot himself. He wasn't murdered unless shooter was behind his coach up against the wall in his little den.

      Delete
    3. That's very interesting! (And tragic.)
      Why does your name sound so familiar? Are you the same Nat Helms who was on the Galveston PD?

      Delete
  6. Nathaniel - I am sorry for your loss. Your brother was a good and honorable man. I appreciate the service of both of you as veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the photo of Mr. Bynum. I've found plenty of Bittaker and Norris, but hardly any of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Bynum is what's known as a super sensitive. These people experience levels of empathy that are off the scale. In their minds they place their loved ones in the same situation as the victims. It is replayed over and over in their mind and never goes away. They experience actual physical pain when ever these images appear in their mind which is all the time. They can't sleep. They no longer experience joy. Their empathy won't allow them to understand or rationize the actions of the perpetrators. It doesn't make any sense to them. That a human being is capable of such grotesque cruelty. It begins to effect every part of their lives. They look at their beloved children or spouses and imagine them experiencing what the victims experienced and it horrifies them. The images haunt them. I too am a super sensitive so I can speak from experience. Back in 1993 when 2 yr old James Bulger was murdered by the two 10 yr olds, my son was the same age. Every time I looked at my baby son I couldn't stop myself from seeing him going through what that little boy went through. The terror and confusion he must of felt before he died. The panic, grief and loss experienced by his parents. It nearly destroyed me. I suffered nightmares for two straight weeks and was finally put on medication. I understand perfectly why Paul took his own life. The pain just became intolerable. God bless him and may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s funny that you brought that up. As I’m reading your description, I thought of James too. Ever since I had a son, that case plays in my head at least once a day. It’s like I can’t fully relax or enjoy life anymore knowing that it happened. I wish I’d never heard about it. I’ve talked to my therapist about it and she called it “empathy to the extreme”. I feel your pain, fellow sensitive being.

      Delete
  9. Paul was a good man. A true example of what we call "the good" in our eternal battle against evil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never forget him .... respect

    ReplyDelete