Thursday, March 2, 2017

March 29, 1956

Whether rightly or incorrectly, Dad felt that my mother wasn't getting enough help from her sisters during the time that he was away. I don't know. It is true that many in our family were, a little odd, even not reading the needs of others. My mother probably didn't ask for help. She had her own eccentricities, as do we all.  I was there only tangentially, so I am not offering opinion. He felt as he felt then. 


Dear Rosetta:

Have no fear. The news about that projected California enterprise has little if any interest to me. Perhaps I am a little hardened but mention of any of my erstwhile associates leaves me a little cold.  I have little desire to be in any way involved in their lives. . .I actually wish it were possible for us to suddenly disappear from our environment without farewells--without even notifying anyone that we were leaving and never to see any of them again.

This last school week seems to be dragging.  It is always this way when one tries to rush the calendar. Today, we were given a break.  We were scheduled for an outdoor weapons demonstration but it rained and we were given the afternoon off.

Saturday is pay day. I shall send you almost the entire check.  The total will be five hundred dollars.  Take four hundred and put it in an acount.  From the remainder you should have enough for expenses till I return.

Our Lt. was married, day before yesterday.  He neither spoke no had any other contact with his wife subsequently.  Now, though the agreement was a marriage in name only, she calls him continually and even followed him home last night.  She is quoted as having said, "After all, he is my husband."

From the little I know of her, and the little I've heard, I predict some unpleasant events for the young Napoleon.  The agreement calls for no monetary allowance for her or the child and a divorce at some future date. It is in writing but legally not worth the paper it is written on.  One of thse days he will probably receive a petition for support and possibly other expenses.

This has been rather a bad break for the Lt.  He is very young and not too bright.  The girl is also young but apparently not unfamiliar with the ways of the world.  Interspersed in their idyll is another boy who did spend the week-end with her.  The now husband has not even the satisfaction of knowing for certain whether is from his "loins" that the issue to come emanates.  However, it has always been thus since the days of Mother Eve.

About the middle of next week there will be little point in your writing any more since on Friday I shall leave for home. We graduate at nine in the morning and should be through by 12. Noon.  I can hardly wait.  How about you?

Love,

Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment