Thursday, July 18, 2019

This Crummy Gaslighting Society


I hadn't planned on going to see "Rocketman" for a variety of reasons, but a friend of mine, who loved it, several times encouraged me to go and see it. So, today, having made a mistake about a medical appointment (the date thereof) feeling out of sorts and a bit reclusive, I thought it would be a great time to go to an afternoon movie. It just happened that "Rocketman" was playing in the local theater near my apartment.  I decided not to take my purse, and, perhaps foolishly for other reasons (like dropping dead on the street) and wanting to walk light, I took only my keys and my debit/credit card (it had my name on it, so if I did indeed drop dead I can easily be googled and identified). It just happened the movie was playing at 2, so perfect timing!

When I got to the theater, it was actually locked. I have never known a theater to be locked in the middle of the day, particularly with a movie to play in a half hour, but I waited on a chair someone had thoughtfully left in the shade, for the doors to be opened. The place was basically empty, and so I was first, well, only, on line.

I told the attendant what movie I wished to see and handed her my debit card. She said, "Can I see your ID?"  Well, I didn't have it as I have already mentioned above. I couldn't see a problem, except maybe that I could be using the thing fraudulently, in which case, my bad, and I'd have to forget about it. But that's not what she said. She said that they were required by their alcohol license to see everyone's ID.  Really. To buy a ticket for a movie? Well, I do hate that because of fear of whatever, lawsuits, offense, it is now the rule for places to ask people well over 21 for proof of proper age to buy alcohol. But I was buying a ticket for a movie. I promised I would not be buying alcohol. I got angry. I asked for the manager. He said the same thing. I asked to see their license. He declined. I was told that this was a law of my particular City.

I was beside myself. The world is fighting over whether people have to show identification in all sorts of, well, more weighty circumstances. Fine. I am not here to argue that. But when so called rules are applied inconsistently and with obvious illogical support, it is nothing more than insanity if not demonstrative of a decaying, oppressive society. I hear some of my best friends laughing at my outrage. But here is the thing, we once individuals are like the lobster put into a pot of pleasantly cool water. The water gets warm, and then hot, and oops, the lobster dies. We are dying as others create and apply rules for our daily goings and comings, ever so selectively and not with any rational basis.

I decided to make a few calls. First I called the City's number. I explained the situation. The person said that this had nothing to do with the City. But that was what I was told. The man was amused, for clearly I am very stupid. You see, when these things happen, there really is no one responsible, no answers or effort at giving answers. So I called the State Alcohol folk. The woman on the phone was nice enough. She had not heard of such a rule, and I offered to let her speak to the young person at the desk (who wasn't going to do that). She called the manager again. Meanwhile the nice staff person on the phone promised to talk to her supervisor.

Now, this time, the manager was actually quite nice and showed me the license and the section that he proposed gave them the authority to require ID. Except, suddenly, things changed and he was talking about the purchase of alcohol. I said, "So, I can buy a ticket as long as I don't seek to buy alcohol?" or something along those lines. "So, I CAN buy a ticket?"

Yes. He began to explain that the young woman at the desk was just doing her job. But, that did not make sense, because I was buying a ticket, not a drink. I decided, though I was ready to explode and no longer in the mood to do anything, to let it go. I thanked the manager. I bought the ticket I had originally wanted to buy with the debit card I had first presented. I asked if I were allowed to buy food without ID. Yes.

Later, I had a message from the Alcohol state person. Very nice message. She said that I could call, but the questions I had were a matter between me and the movie theater. There might be restrictions on their license that prevented me from entering if I didn't have ID.

Here's what I think. I think, ultimately, the young person at the cashier line made a mistake in asking for ID when I was buying a ticket. Somehow, perhaps, she misinterpreted when one is asked for ID. It's idiotic to ask an obviously over 21 person for ID, but that at least would make vague sense. When I didn't let it go, some place between my going out to make calls and coming back, the mistake was realized, and it wasn't about buying a ticket, but about actually buying alcohol.

I probably should just have gone home to do my fuming. But I went to the movie. Perhaps I would have liked it more if I saw it another time.

Now, I know. Even if I have a million dollars in cash when I go to the movies I better have my ID. The signs are everywhere.







No comments:

Post a Comment