Wednesday, July 31, 2019

"Why Straws?" and Other Thoughts

A few days ago I was at one of my favorite stalls in the still remaining portion of the Old Farmer's Market that is next to the Grove in Los Angeles getting a little something to eat. As I retrieved my order and my coca cola, I took a straw. I guess this area being in Los Angeles, and not in West Hollywood, where I live, plastic straws are still in a visible spot.

Anyway, the server and I got into a short discussion in terms of bans and other regulations said to be for our own good by our elected officials. She asked, "Why straws?"  I said "I ask the same thing, but usually, quietly, because it is offensive to disagree to many these days, and if you do, such discussions usually resolve nothing or devolve with the offended's use of an ad hominem rather than a reasoned explanation. The server said, "Well, not me, I ask 'why straws?'"

As I went about the rest of my day, the "Why Straws?" question rumbled in my head. I consulted Google, which, despite its own likely delight in straw banning, would at least give me an inkling of the of the peculiar focus. There were several articles about a turtle that was injured by a straw that quite literally went up its nose and got lodged there. As an animal lover, I felt horrible about this, and while I was at it, about all the creatures that get tangled in human trash plastic and otherwise. But I didn't find a really satisfactory answer about straws, in particular. And if you are going to ban the straws on your cuppa of cola, you really need to ban the lid that is plastic, and while we are at it, the big cups that are plastic for the super super drinks. Maybe they will get to that, but I found myself mentally digressing and asking, "Why is there so much plastic in the ocean?"  Well the reason is, in large, though not in total part, human littering. People throw stuff in the oceans, and lakes, and on the ground where water/rain/washing sends it into the sewers (the ones not blocked) and into the ocean and lakes.

As usual, it is human conduct, or in this case, misconduct, that is largely responsible for the stuff that hurts the creatures in the ocean. And the easy fix? Ban something. Don't deal with the miscreants who throw their garbage out car windows, or throw their last Styrofoam take out box on the ground, or spit on the ground as they cross the street, ban something so that people who do follow rules don't have the benefit of use.

The real fix would seem to be to prevent the items from getting into the ocean, by enforcing the laws already on the books about littering, and, in the case of one of the other reasons things get into the ocean (like blowing off trash trucks, or blowing out of the large containers in landfills) figuring a way to keep the stuff inside the disposal unit. But politicians like the symbolic solution, not the real one.

Back to straws for a second. Many of us, dare I say, most of us, bring our large cup drinks into our cars, where, when we were able to get straws without feeling like Jean Valjean, we could take a quick and easy sip as we sat at the red light. Without a straw, you have to negotiate an open container of stuff, unless you have one of those really cool sippy cups. And if you get rid of the lid, you have your favorite fizzy slopping around we you hit the many bumps on the road of your deteriorating infrastructure that your local politician doesn't get fixed because it is better if you just ride a bicycle or the train or bus.  Accident anyone? You are not really supposed to drink or eat in your car anyway, so let's get rid of those cup holders!

And as to bans, they are not really always bans. They are often revenue raisers purportedly to take care of the oceans and the creatures in them affected by plastic, that goes into the back hole of whatever city hall corresponds with your progressively minded location, and is never heard from again. And the oceans and the creatures still are in critical need of address.

So, for example, I have read over and over that plastic grocery bags are banned, and that one should bring one's reusable bag (there in lies another interesting health hazard the long term consequences of were ignored apparently). That's great for the stores and the revenue as most of us forget those bags at home or in our cars and so need to get more. Or you can pay for a paper bag. Ten cents please.

But you know what? Every store still has plastic bags, thicker ones, to be sure, but they are some kind of plastic and I cannot imagine they are doing turtles any good.  The only difference is that you pay ten cents for those too!  I went on Google again to see what the pundits, think about that and I couldn't find a reference to plastic bags being sold for ten cents, or plastic bags still being sold.

I like plastic bags. I put used cat litter in them; wet cloths I am throwing away, and such. So I pay the ten cents for them. One thing is for sure, plastic bags have not been banned. I am fine with that, but it makes me question ever more the sense of accomplishment our political betters seem to have.



Apropos of straws in restaurants? You can't have them there either unless you ask. I guess no one is worried about the multitude of lips touching glass and I hope that the folks that wash dishes use really really hot water. You might have heard that things like the bubonic plague, measles, whooping cough and who knows what else, is back in Los Angeles and other big cities. That's progress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment