Tuesday, October 17, 2023

All Over Time

 This has turned out to be "The Great Project" of many potential "great projects" I have designated for myself--putting all my hard copy photos (or most of them) on the cloud and some here on this blog. I'd say it is a history of one, but really it is part of the history of others, people I have known, some no longer, some still. As if I am not introspective enough, this endeavor has made me more so, for the things done, the things not done, and the people in that context. 




Above are the high school graduation photos of several youngsters who once were. The third from the left looking like a bear with a shag cut is me. Ugh. I am still in touch with three of these folks, saw them just this past August at Bryant Park Grill in New York. It's only ahem, 50 plus years!



Two of my favorite things in the photos above, one my Plymouth Fiero, a two seater sports-ish car no longer made. And frankly it had lots of mechanical issues. Which is probably why it is no longer made. But I loved it. And Fiero with car and cat. And me outside the front door of my apartment in the Fairfax District. This is all circa late 80s, early 90s.


Naturally, when I first moved to Los Angeles, I was a regular visitor to the beach. Almost every weekend. Then life and work took over and those dalliances were fewer and farther in between. These two photos I know the date of because it is on the back, 1982.

Now, the next series of photos are from a visit or two I made back in the early 80s, I think. The reason I think it's early ish 80s is that you will note that my dear friend Ellen is enceinte as we are pictured in front of a lovely Manhattan restaurant, Cent'anni. (Don't know if it's still there, why would it be it's like 40 years!) The first of her two children, Matt, is a regular visitor to these climes for events at the Hollywood Bowl in the summer, and other such LA events. 








Below a few pics of Len and me at Yamashiro in Los Angeles, before he made Los Angeles his bi-coastal home; me, reclining on my 200.00 Ortho bed; and me with a couple of friends, among those with whom contact was lost, but still they are a part of my life and so here they are. 



Larry and Len and me below.



Below, Susan and my dad communing musically. Isabel, a friend from law school visits, and Margo, a college friend who also moved to Los Angeles in the 1980s.


Below, a publicity shot of Alan Alda and writer-producer Thad Mumford, who was a friend until his passing in Sept. 2018. We are Fordhamites all. 



My architect and college friend Ralph. The top picture he sent to me long ago. The bottom picture is from his 1980s visit to Los Angeles, a year or two before he met and married the love of his life, Mary. 



Ralph and I visited the then new LA County Museum on Wilshire Boulevard, Museum Row. After only 30 something years, it has been torn down and something new and massive is being built. 





1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this and seeing all the old pics, Djinna! You did not look like a bear with a shag. But it is a funny line!

    ReplyDelete