Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Jumping to 2010

The next album I pulled from the vault happened to be from one of my trips to New York and Massachusetts in 2010. I have usually mixed those two locations when I have gone back East to see family and friends. This visit had a special occasion, the graduation of a young friend from high school, and, though I am happy I no longer live there, I am paradoxically perhaps, a proud New Yorker, and from time to time need the infusion of the energy of the place.


I stayed in the area of Marshfield, Ma. which I have done on other visits, this time at a little oceanside place called the Fairview Inn in Brant Rock. As you can see from the picture, it had a splendid view.


The next time, a year or so or more later, when I wanted to stay there, the hotel and restaurant had closed. I stayed that time, around 2014 I think, at a lovely B and B not far away, but not directly on the water.  I was disheartened about so beautiful a hotel not in use, and every so often, I'd check the net to see if maybe some wise soul had reopened it. Before I posted today, I checked, and sure enough, the Fairview appears to be back.  Sounds like the restaurant has also reincarnated. Maybe next trip, a mere thirteen years after that original lovely stay.






Some of the graduates including the person I specifically came to see, Cait, who now is a psychologist, as was her late father. And to the right, her younger brother, Charlie, grandmother Jennie, Janey, and the late John, whose nickname was "Jock" just like the patriarch of the series Dallas. 


I still remember Charlie, then I think a Sophomore in the same school, telling me, before the ceremony that he planned on becoming a businessman. I smiled, and I knew he probably would. He is in the business and financial world now. 



New York, New York, 2010. Bet you already recognize the sites here. Times Square. Grand Central. Radio City. St. Patrick's Cathedral. I usually try to make my visit to St. Pat's, Gothic personified and full of history, maybe not so much as in Europe, but close enough for the colonies. 


And below, a really lousy picture of me, but a really lovely one of my cousin, Carol. 



And, a touch of Central Park. 




Finally, a swizzle stick from the Planet Hollywood that was in Times Square. Don't know if it's there now. The purpose of this photo? Reminder of the last time I saw my friend Noreen, who died only a few months later. I think of her often. What a sweet, kind soul she was. 





No comments:

Post a Comment