Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Dad's Letters from Georgia February 29, 1956

I wish I were more consistent in transcribing the lovely letters my father wrote to my mother when he was at Fort Gordon, Georgia for army post training back in the 1950s. But I am getting there, and if you read prior entries and a couple of my prior blogs which for reasons of computer illiteracy I cannot access any more for additions, you will have the thread. But you don't need to--each letter stands alone. And each is a capsule of a time and place and sensibilities over 60 years past. This one was actually written in dad's hand, so I have scanned it here. I like the idea that my dad's handwriting is in the ether to be seen by generations to come.  I follow it by a transcription, in case the reading is difficult. The thing that always amazes me about these letters is that my father talks of love, and missing my mother, and refers to my mother missing him. Alas, when I was more than the baby in this letter, I didn't think they liked each other much. You never know the whole story do you?

                     The transcription:

Dear Rosetta:

Set your wherewithal this morning via three money orders. This should make it easier for you to cash the.  The sum total, for checking purposes was $280.00.  If, suring the month, it appears this will not be enough, write immediately and let me know.  As far as the baby's party is concerned, be assured you will have eough. First, because I shall send you some money the first of April and second because this month you will receive (sic) check for 45-60 dollars. Should th eneed arise, send it to me, I will cash it and return the case.

Received a letter from Rita today. She tells me how much you miss me, which information coming from a third person is very flattering. Please let me know if her observation is factual.

The last week of so has been very boring.  Some of the lectures which deal with confinement of criminals are really interesting but I have little sympathy with our concepts of crime and punishment and I find it hard to keep from saying what I feel. Of course, though, I will.

I was looking through the PX today.  They have some cotton baby dresses that do not impress me too much. They have an abundance of your Faberge perfumes. Name some others you might like. By the way, do you still use baby powder and Q-tips, baby oil-do you need diapers?

I miss you very much and will find this last month difficult. It should go by fast, though.  In the mea time, keep well and try not to be lonesome

Love, Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment