Tuesday, February 21, 2017

March 21, 1956 II

Dear Rosetta:

As I promised here is the review of "Picnic", which I saw last night and thoroughly enjoyed.

It is an excellent play done on a really basic theme.  The amazing thing is what emanates in the way of acting and dialogue from what is a very ordinary and every-day situation.  I don't exactly know the locale but it could almost be this area, here.  If I am not mistaken, the Ozark Mountains are mentioned in the dialogue--and these are certainly South.

William Holden did an excellent portrayal of an earthy type.  He had mannerisms that were typically apropos. His portrayal of animal vitality really came across and fortunately he has the physique to carry it through.

Susan Strasberg? Is that her name? Well, she is certainly a very talented actress.  My only objection to her is that she reminded me of so many of the current television actresses.  They depend strongly on voice inflections to convey emotions--the trouble is, they are all using the same ones for the same emotions.  Of course I like it when it's done well, and it was.

Rosalind Russell gave a startling performance as the frustrated, repressed and vindictive school teacher.

I saved Kim Novak for last. And before I say anything, let me qualify a little.  I'm afraid my comments must be viewed in the light of an enforced abstinence which must inevitably color my opinions.  Well, anyway, she has a cameo-like beauty that is hard to match.  Hair, eyes, mouth--sheer perfection.  She exuded the kind of sensuality necessary to the part with an ease that is unusual.

She acted the part effortlessly and convincingly.  It was certainly a worthwhile production and a real answer to imported films--finally.

Last night, the Iranian Officers celebrated their New Years in the BOQ.  They pulled John and myself out of bed to atend.  It was interesting to note how similar they are to Greeks and most of the Mediterranean races in music and custom.  They sang and Lt. Sayyar, a chubby dark 1st Lt. danced in imitation of the Harem dancers.  He was very good and had every nuance of the belly dancer down pat.

They are an interesting people in many ways. Among other interesting facets of their culture, is the affectionate disposition they have towards each other.  They kiss and fondle and hold hands--just as the Arabs do (I remem ber we were warned by the Army in those days not to ridicule or indicate surprise or displeasure).  These actions have a curious incongruity in our Army atmosphere.  Fortunately, most of our officers are world travelled and did not affect any kind of displeasure. Shades of the "Symposium".

I am enclosing a card I was given.  It depicts, I am told, a wedding ceremony.  Notice the highly civilized approach--from the male viewpoint, I mean.  Pay particular attention to the lovelies who are supplying him with music, food and wine.  I am sure that there should be dancing girls in the picture. Now there is a country.





No further comments just

Love, Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment