Thursday, February 23, 2017

March 24, 1956

Dear Rosetta:

This is the next to the last week-end.  It seems that though the individual days drag, the weeks fly by.

We were required to get up early, this morning, for a parade in honor of General Holland, the new Post Commander.  Actually, all we did was check in as present and take off.

Last night I fell asleep at seven o'clock and did not awaken till this morning at nine.  I had intended to rest an hour or two and then take in the movie, which was "The Desperate Hours."  Unfortunately, I did not awaken.  This week I see they are showing the "Tender Trap" with Frank Sinatra (again). T.  This fellow has certainly made an acting niche for himself.  And he is always effective.

The boy I spoke to you about who had that unfortunate encounter with one of the local belles--well, the civil authorities picked him up on a warrant, this morning.  I don't know what exactly he can be charged with, but Georgia law is peculiar.  The fact that he is a regular Army Officer certainly hampers him considerably.  Popular sentiment here is on his side and the wise men of the BOQ are speculating as to what they would do, or what they did in similar circumstance. Though I will not voice this opinion in public, my sympathies are with the girl.  In any encounter of this sort, it is still the woman who becomes pregnant.  Besides, I have always hated the way the average man will malign a woman because she acquiesced to his demands.  No matter how you slice it, her sin is no greater than his.

Camp Gordon has been re designated a Fort, which means it is now a permanent installation with the right to greater appropriations.  The City of Augusta is jubilant since their livelihood is wholly dependent on the Post. The newspapers here gave this event front page coverage.

John bought another Boxer (dog) for his uncle.  We will have two of these animals to care for on our return trip home.

                                                       ------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not, one of the things I miss is the big snow you had.  I always have been fascinated by snow drifts.  I used always to look forward to them when I was a boy. Of course, I realize the hardship it can inflict on business--especially the kind I was in.

                                                      ------------------------------------------------

It is windy outside.  Inside it is dull.  I shall miss you very much, this weekend.  It is getting more and more difficult waiting for the day I can hold you and discover again what you feel like.

The nights are cold without your Love

Buddy



No comments:

Post a Comment