Tuesday, February 28, 2017

March 26, 1956

Dear Rosetta:

This is the second letter I have started in the last two hours.  The first one I decided not to mail since it was written in a very angry mood. You see I was disturbed over your mentioning shopping for birthday presents for X and Y.  To me this is the most vulgar purpose for which money which you so badly need for yourself can be spent.  Remember, it was a little after Christmas that I left for camp and the aftertaste of the holiday spirit with which they left me is still pungent.  Apparently however you cannot see your way clear to avoid playing the ball game according to their rules.  I realize, of course, that you have a kind of need for them--on their own terms if necessary but will you understand if I never exchange a civil word with them as long as I live?

The Lt. of whom I have written was picked up on a civil warrant, charged with seduction, jailed, released on $2500 bail and the latest news is that they will be married tomorrow.

The girl and her father feel that the coming child needs a name.  They promise that they will make no financial claims or other demands of him and will institute divorce proceedings as soon as practicable.  He has intimated that he will not see her after the ceremony.

It is interesting to speculate on what would happen if this marriage were to take hold. Particularly interesting would be the lot of the child of this household since he has stated that he is not the only possible father agent in the case.

On the surface it would appear that a commendable concern is being shown for the legitimacy of an innocent.  I like to believe that the highest considerations motivate in this case I cannot help but think that the child is only tangible evidence of a social faux pas that isn't one until publicly known.

I shall see to it that the money you want for the purposes you mention is forthcoming.

Will write again, probably tonight, when I am less irritated. . . .

No Love on the same page as

the unmentionables

Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment