Saturday, February 4, 2017

March 1, 1956

My father had excellent powers of observation. As to members of our family, well, I suppose, as to anyone, for he was a bit of a perfectionist, he could be exacting and unforgiving, albeit it was true that families are not always altruistic. But then again, human beings struggle with that always. In this case it appears my grandmother, who lived in one of our triangle buildings, needed help and my mother seems to have been in danger of being imposed upon, though she was the first of the girls to have any children. Jerry was my Aunt Rita's stepson, about 16 or 17 at the time.  My father was highly protective of my mother. So, there are some edits I have made on the more sarcastic comments.

Received your letter of the 29th in which for the second letter in a row, say you received no mail from me.  This is curious in view of the fact that I write every day and sometimes twice in one 12 hour period.  Of course, you may be receiving more than one letter at a time.

I agree with you that your primary concern is to take care of your child and yourself.  Do not let any one or anything pressure you into a feeling of obligation or guilt with regard to your mother.  If necessary, make your position plain.  .  . You cannot be running up and down five flights of stairs with a two year old baby.  Nor do I want the baby walking up and down so many stairs.  And certainly I forbid you running over the roof.  If you must, make it plain that I, Buddy, Constantine--your husband--and of course your sweetheart, FORBID, PROHIBIT any activity that is not consistent with OUR BEST INTERESTS.  If this concern is so great, there are trained nurses, there is Jerry and if there is no one, then it's just too bad. . . .

Received a letter from Rita, yesterday, and I shall answer her right after I finish this letter.  

Also heard from the Colonel and he made the following remark about his former no. 1 boy, Major X, who you remember was recently deposed.  "Tony is making an attempt to adjust to the duties of Economics Officer," which can mean only that some one of our esteemed Captains with enough time in grade has lined himself up for a Majority.  "Vae Victis," said an ancient Gallic conqueror, meaning Woe to the Vanquished, and truly our modern concept of sportsmanship and loyalty calls for a kick in the face after you are knocked down.  No, never fear, I shall never again defend loyalty or decency at the expense of any material loss to myself.  These are not the times for ethical concepts of honor; Judas has been resurrected instead of Christ; and what did Cain say?

Our course continues without abatement--8 hours a day of sitting and listening to lectures.  The seats sometimes become very hard.  If you count the number of class hours, you will see that this is the equivalent of more than a year of college compressed into thirteen weeks.  Much of what is presented, though essential from a Military standpoint, is quite boring and drawn out.  On the whole, though, the instructors try to make their presentations as entertaining as possible.

It appears that the Foreign officers--as has always been the case in my military experience--have an affinity for me.  I receive all kinds of requests, from help in translation--though I don't speak Iranian, Thai or Chino-Japanese, I do get the intent of what is meant--to instruction in the operation of a camera  Lt. Sayyar, an Iranian, is . . .pleased that I was able to photograph him "looking tall."  He also insists I helped him get pictures without a blur.  

Major Agahian, who is the chief of G-2 (Intelligence) in Iran--the leader of the equivalent of the Secret Service with the sole mission of guarding the King, is a most interesting man.  As you know, Iranians are Mohammedans.  This Major is devout.  He neither drinks, nor smokes and considers the pleasures of femininity or any other so called vices. I am told by his fellow officers that he prays and meditates until two o'clock each morning.  He is quite a good-looking man with very white even teeth and extremely kind eyes.  Possibly well over forty, he appears thirty-five.

Lt. Shirazi, also Iranian, is rather an ugly man with a low forehead and hooked nose. His eyes are a beautiful gray.  He speaks in a high-pitched, excitable manner and is a Company Commander. I get a picture of him haranguing his company in an alto falsetto, hands waving as he screeches. He is a poet, and likes solitude.  He also like his whiskey straight.

Lt. Sayyar looks like a short, plump and jolly short-order cook one would find in any Greek restaurant. He even speaks English with a Greek accent.  He is good natured and helpful.

I often think of the precarious position these officers are in. It is not without the realm of possibility that one day they might find themselves lined up against a wall and hot.  Their country, which as you know is constantly under the threat of the Russian Bear and the internal Fifth column.  The party in favor can easily be deposed and then. . .

I mentioned this to Lt. Shirazi, our poet, and he quoted something unintelligible to me from Saadi, or some such poet and he said, "Government our pay gives for ONE DAY, that DAY WE MUST DIE."  "You cannot die," he said, "on the day it is not for you to die, but on the day is is for you to die, you must"

It is possible that these officers plus the Koreans may call on us sometime in the future.  You might find them interesting.  I will write about the Koreans at another date.

And now, since I think this letter is sufficiently long I close with

Love, Buddy


No comments:

Post a Comment