Sunday, February 5, 2017

March 7, 1956

Dad often described some of his colleagues at Fort Gordon. This was the deep South in the late 1950s. In this letter, Dad described one of the African-American Officers, whose historical and personal conundrum he considers. 

The letter ends though with a bit of teasing about writing loving (and slightly) hot letters.


Dear Rosetta:

I am always surprised when you report that there is no mail "from you today."  You see, I write every day so as to insure a daily letter for you.  Of course, I know the delay in transportation may cause a bunching up of mail shipments, in which case you might receive two or three letters in one day and none for the next three.  I shall try to figure out a way to beat the system.

It was hot today, somewhere around eighty.  This area goes from winter to summer without an intermediate season.  Tomorrow it may be cold and rainy.  There is no predicting weather.

I saw the production of Caesar and Cleopatra you spoke of.  I thought it was quite good.  There are numerous television sets in camp and even one in our BOQ. Lt. Banks, a colored Officer, pays $5 a week to rent one.  He has plenty of company every night in his room.

Lt. Banks never leaves camp. He does not attend our social functions, though he has been assured by many he is welcome.  I spoke to him about it once and he said it would be foolish for him to venture into town in this area.  He is without a doubt right.

The last class party it was pointed out--while he was not present--that any function of this type would have to be held at camp since private facilities in town will not rent if a colored person is attending.  There is a State law that covers this, so in a case of violation, they can break in on a private party with a "John Doe" warrant.

So even though we held the last social in camp, Banks did not come, which is what I think I would  have done if I were in his place.  This time though we have the assurance of the County Sheriff that we would not be molested, Banks has flatly stated he will not attend.  I still think he is right.

Banks is quite a nice fellow, quiet, with a ready laugh.  He is an accountant from New Jersey with a wife and three children.  The Officers, including the Southern Officers who predominate the class, treat him as an equal and friend in every way.  On an Army Post there is no apparent prejudice.  I guess the actual difference is the presence of a woman.  Clearly, the Negro-white prejudice is psychosexual.

. . .I shall soon run out of people to write about.  Then I shall have to write only love letters and I know you don't care for that sort of thing.  I shall have to resort to such as. . . .

This. . .love I long to see again, to hold--sensitive to moist warmth the length of my body, the quick breathing in my ear.  Skin velvety to touch. Bosom full and firm with carmine spots.

Can you imagine receiving such erotica regularly.  Of course you wouldn't like it.  Or would you?

My. . .

Love, Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment